Add This Site to Your Favorites!
Do you know how many things New Jersey is known for as the "firsts"?
- First phonograph at Menlo Park by Thomas
Edison in 1877.
- First light bulb (incandescent) in 1879 by Thomas
- The First Drive-in
Movie Theater in Camden, NJ, in 1933, then was moved around!
- The First Submarine was was built by John
Holland in 1878 in Passaic NJ.
- Joseph Campbell condensed the First Can of Soup in Camden, NJ in 1897
- The First
Boardwalk was built in Atlantic
City, NJ in 1870 (The
Steel Pier was famous for its Diving Horses)
- Les Paul made
Solid Body Electric Guitar in Mahwah, NJ in 1940.
- Roselle, NJ was the first town to be lit with electricity!
- First direct Long Distance Dialing in the USA from Coast to Coast
in Englewood, NJ in 1951! "201" was the first area code designation!
- First Miss America
chosen in Atlantic
City in 1921!
- First Motion Picture developed by Thomas
Edison in West
Orange, NJ in 1889.
- and lots, lots more!!